From:
Quintanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 15:05:17 -0400
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful response to my query.
The fact that you're also in Indiana means a lot to us.  I will pass your
response along to our board members; I'm certain they'll appreciate all
you have to say and offer.

We have already filed for tax exempt status and are anxiously awaiting our
designation. We have a case number, and if all goes according to schedule
(if that's possible), we should have our 501 (c) 3 in three or four
months.

We have yet to hire or enlist a fundraising coordinator; we're debating
the advantages vs. disadvantages of hiring an executive director first, or
a fundraising coordinator. The questions we're struggling with:

Do we hire an executive director and make that person the fundraiser, or
should that person be an exhibits/museum professional above all else?

Should the fundraiser be a paid professional? If so, should they be paid
on a contingency basis (a percentage of salary)?

Or should we simply use dedicated community volunteers as fundraisers,
with one volunteer coordinating the effort?

Can we get an executive director with no money, on the assumption that
she/he will be paid just as soon as we raise funds? Or do we raise money
first, then hire someone?

The big question is: Can we raise money if we don't have a site? But how
can we lease a site with no money?

Any advice?

Debra Kent
812.339.8053
or: burmstud.indiana.edu (preferred address)

Thanks again!