From:
Lee Langston-Harsn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 08:08:39 EDT
Hi!

Earlier today I saw a post on the museum-L that addressed the issue of
using the term "Center" to convey that an institution does a variety of
things besides and beyond traditional museum exhibits (Ed Pershey's
words, but a terrific approach).  We too are in the midst (tho quiet one
a.t.m.) of trying to determine what name would better communicate to the
public exactly what we do.  Might you consider the term center for all
of the wonderful functions you perform, especially as they relate to the
community in which you live/work/relate too.  Another approach is to use
a "community" based name, ie:  "the such-and-such Community Heritage
Center/Museum/Library, etc" ?

Identity crisis' are great in some ways . . . they help shake the
cobwebs away and make you (the professional staff) reevaluate the goals
and missions of your institution.  I wish you the best of luck, and hope
you didn't mind my 2 cents worth of early Monday morning (sans coffee)
thought.  Good luck and keep the list posted, I'll bet there are lots of
other institutions out there struggling with the same sort of identity
crisis!

Lee Langston-Harrison, Curator
James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
(someday MAYBE to become the "James Monroe Presidential Center"?!?!)