From:
Jeff Kupperman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 01:06:00 +0900
To Valerie J. Wheat:
I have never heard of a large museum called the "Shinjuku Art Museum."  Could
the name be slightly different, or a very loose translation of the Japanese
name?  The department stores Isetan and Mitsukoshi have art museums (actually
relatively small halls for traveling exhibitions) in their branches in
Shinjuku.  These may have been refered to as something like "Isetan Museum of
Art, Shinjuku" or "Shinjuku Mitsukoshi Art Museum."  The word "museum" is used

rather losely in Tokyo; there may be private galleries in Shinjuku that use
that word, or even a ward-run public gallery that is not widely known.  If you

know anything more about the place you are looking for, I could try to look it

up.

Jeff Kupperman (Tokyo)