From:
Mary Herdegen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 10:20:37 -0500
The Esther Thomas Atkinson Museum of Hampden-Sydney College is self-supporting.
We are not one of the largest or most well-known museums in the country but we
are very proud of our accomplishments.  We were founded in 1968 by Mrs.
Atkinson who started out with a closet of artifacts.  The Museum eventually
took occupancy of the former campus post office and in 1993, completed a
$200,000 addition financed totally by private.  We were very fortunate to have
the "iron fist in a velvet glove" of Mrs. Atkinson who was "Curator" until last
spring when she passed away at the age of 99!  She would have been 100 on July
4th, but died on commencement day in order to have the benefit of many speeches
to honor her AND HER MUSEUM.(Sorry, I left out the word "donations" after
"private," above.)

Our Museum charges no admission fee and has no museum shop.  We do sell
personalized bricks(quotes,memorials,etc.) at $100 a brick to Alumni(we are an
all male college of less than 1,000 students) and Museums patrons.  These
bricks border sidewalks on compus-the response to this project has been
successful.

We also have Museum Associates who pay $35 for Individual Memberships and $50
for Family Memberships.  Life Memberships are $1000.  Our Museum Newsletter is
very popular and is sent to all our Museum Associates. It is filles with Museum
News as well as articles relatin to the College's history.  Hampden-Sydney was
founded in 1776 and two of its first Trustees were Patrick Henry and James
Madison.

I'M SORRY!!!!  You didn't need a lecture! Please call on me if you have any
questions or BETTER YET, come and visit us here in Virginia.

Mary C Herdegen, Curator
Atkinson Museum of Hampden-Sydney
Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
(804) 223-6134