From:
Dave Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 07:45:31 -0500
Connie, you need to get your antler artifact into the hands of a
qualified conservator immediately. If it is a wet-site artifact keep it
wet by wrapping it with undyed and unbleached non-acidic cloth (polyester
is inert) and keep it hydraded until it can go into treatment. Also store
it in a lidded container made of polyehteylene with bubble-pack padding
and monitor it for any sign of pests. An excellent source book on the
field preservation of artifacts is, "A Conservation Field Guide For
Archaeologists" by Catherine Sease (UCLA research series in archaeology
#4). You can contact the American Institute for Conservation of Artistic
and Historic Works for a conservation referral list.

Dave

=:|\Pinnacle Online                    - Open and dynamic Internet services:=
=:|_/||\ ||\ |   |\.| __  |       Voice: 804/498.3889  email: [log in to unmask]:=
=:|  || \|| \| o | \| \_ .|        Data: 804/498.9762  login: guest or new :=