From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:41:46 -0400
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Rhonda Dass <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> How about putting a different face on this facebook issue. If this were
> Native American remains being promoted in this way, there would be legal
> ramifications and a lot more naysayers.

Or you might have some people that agree with it as long as it was
done respectfully. Again, how is this any different from using images
or personas of the deceased in exhibits, esp. in a first person way?
Obviously having the skeleton of said person would be extremely
distasteful but in this case, the sarcophagus is displayed, not the
actual mummy. How is displaying the sarcophagus any different from
displaying a portrait, death mask, photograph, or other visual
representation of the dead?

> We were also told to "lighten up." How about we put your aunt, uncle or other ancestor on display and promote the freak show through facebook marketing?

My relatives would probably be all for it but I have a weird family
like that. And I see nothing "freakish" about a mummy exhibit. If you
are against displaying of any human remains, then that is a completely
different subject all together and one that I think we would steer
clear from on this list, just for sanity sake.

> How does the Egyptian government and people feel about this type of exploitation? That is the more pertinent question rather than what we think of this stunt from our cultural perspectives. I for one will not be friending any human remains anytime soon.

Was the mummy legally obtained? Is it respectfully displayed? If so,
how is this a "freak show" or "exploitation"? If the picture of the
mummy was on the museum's web page with a note that said, "Come see
me," is that any different or less respectful?

Deb Fuller