From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:22:27 -0700
If the City owns the Museum, if there is any Board of
Trustees the members would be appointed by the Mayor
and/or City Council.

If the museum and/or collections were donated to the
City, the donating documents may provide
responsibilities that the City is legally obligated to
abide by.

On the other hand, even if the City has some legal
obligations, it is questionable whether a court could
or would order the City to increase taxes for a
museum.

In the early 1990s, the City of Pittsburgh recognized
that it could not continue to fund three museums it
owned, and other museums and the Carnegie Library
system that normally received City funding. At that
time, the Pittsburgh Zoo, Phipps Conservatory, and the
Pittsburgh Aviary [now National Aviary] were
privitized. Although each had problems in the
beginning, all three are thriving today.

Also, in November of 1993 the Pennsylvania General
Assembly [in a lame-duck session !!!] passed
legislation allowing Allegheny County to create a
"Regional Asset District" funded by one-half of a one
percent sales and use tax levied in Allegheny County.
All museums, and Carnegie Libraries, started receiving
their primary funding from the Allegheny Regional
Asset District < http://radworkshere.org > in 1995.

gaw