From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:26:09 -0700
In the 1960s as part of an urban renewal project, the
former city center of Allegheny City [which merged
with Pittsburgh in 1907] was transformed into a
retail, office, and apartment building complex called
Allegheny Center, with a major shopping mall in the
center. Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium
[1939-1991] and America's first publicly-funded
Carnegie Library [next-door to Buhl Planetarium,
opened in 1890] shared an advertising kiosk in the
shopping mall [which the mall permitted us to have,
free-of-charge].

On this kiosk, we would advertise planetarium and
other programs while, on the opposite side, the
Library would advertise their programs. Display cases
were included in this kiosk to display items from
programs or items from our gift shop.

One day, I placed some items for sale, from out gift
shop, in the kiosk display case. A couple days later,
the shopping mall informed us that the display case
had been broken-into and the items stolen. The kiosk
was no longer in good shape and never, again, returned
to display in the shopping mall.

gaw