From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:46:05 -0700
This, then brings up one of my pet peeves.  Science is
a personal favorite of mine, and when I think science,
I frequently think science museums.  As a child, I
couldn't wait to get to my father's bookcase and
examine a Time/Life type of book he had on just the
subject.  The corners of the pages were well worn by
my examination.  In spite of what Lawrence Summers
says, women--even young girls--do get science.

As you know, simply as a hobby, I offer the many Muse
lists and have four related to MuseNews- (Art,
General, History, and Science).  The things I offer
are usually things that come across my desk during the
course of the day from various periodicals.  For me,
personally, those of science are my absolute favorite.

But through the years, the numbers of those availing
themselves of the science offerings have been the
smallest in number.  They are faithful to the group
and remain, but the number of those in art v. science
is 3-1.

Like many in my age group, I dropped out of college
the first time "to find myself".  Years later, I
discovered that collge was where I needed to be.  I
was SO glad the first go round I had not completed my
science requirements.  There was so much that had been
discovered in the years in between.  It was absolutely
amazing.  There are new discoveries every day.

When I went to school, there were only 9 planets.
That was an absolute, a scientific fact.  Look at how
many plants and universes that have been discovered.

It makes me feel good to see this group is so
supportive of the sciences.  I just wish more were.  I
find them absolutely amazing.

If you're new to the list and wish to follow along on
any of the lists, they are:

I sort of think that, if this community doesn't
promote science, who will?

Indigo Nights