From:
David Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 12:45:11 -0400
Dear Lancer 525,
I would highly recommend that you or your employer invest in a copy of The
New Museum Registration Methods available through the AAM bookstore.  The
subtleties and nuances of numbering are very thoroughly covered with
almost 30 pages devoted to numbering locations, methods and materials.
In general, locations for numbers should be back bottom right.  That being
said, it is sometimes hard to determine what that is.  Numbers need to be
easy to find, yet unobtrusive when on exhibit.  They should be in a
location that is not subject to abrasion.  Sometimes a compromise of these
factors is the only way to go.
For the tooth, you may have to envision how it would be exhibited and then
place the number on the opposite side.  It should not be inside where it
would be hard to find during inventory and encourage needless and
excessive handling.
The best place for the spice shaker may be the bottom although this
location is subject to abrasion and could eventually wear away the
number.  As with the tooth, you may have to decide how it would look on
exhibit and place the number on the opposite side just above the bottom.
It should not be inside so that someone would have to take it apart to
find the number.  This would cause unnecessary wear and tear on the
artifact and frustrate someone doing inventory.
I hope this helps.  Sorry, I don't know of any online sources for this
type of information.
Sincerely,
David Ryan
Registrar