From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:52:18 -0500
Locally (within 25 miles) numerous antique stores, 2 major malls, about 7-10 mini-malls, high school sports, summer sports, 3 professional sports teams, 1 minor league team, 1 convention center, 4 professinal auto races, 3 university sports teams, 1 childrens msuseum, 1 art museum, 1 state museum, 4 historic houses, 1 zoo, various smaller museums, 1 state park, 1 major city park w/ boating facilities, 2 resevoirs open to some public swimming and boating, 5 public libraries and their branches, 1 ice arena open to the public, 1 state fair grounds, 1 county fair grounds.

Statewide there are about 50 state parks and reserves, 2 national parks, 10 major universities w/ sports programs, 6 public resevoirs, 92 county fairs, and there are too many local events, such as community festivals and celebrations, to count.  This includes things like Brown County's turning leaves extravaganza in the fall, Covered Bridge Fesitval in Rockville, Bean Blossom's Bean Blossom Festival, Feast of the Hunter's Moon in Tippecanoe County, etc.

Nationally, all other living history museums, amusement parks, national parks and sites, major sporty events, etc.

That's who we consider our competition.  Our biggest challenge can be finding a weekend which no one locally is having something, too.

Lana

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/21/04 09:43PM >>>
We are in the process of an organizational review.  As
part of the process, we need to identify who or what
our competiters are.  As we are a museum and historic
site, the obvius come to mind (TV, movies, amusement
parks etc.), but I thought I would post the query here
for a more in depth evaluation. Any thoughts anyone?

=====
Richard A. Fields
1729A North County Line Rd
Fort Gibson, OK 74434