From:
Carla Herling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:26:04 -0500
There's also a song about museums, more specifically art museums and art
work by a Midwestern singer songwriter named Stuart Davis.  The lyrics are
as follows.  It's a strange song, but very cool and appropriate to this
topic:

Chow Down

look at all the architecture
i love to touch the textures
of all the mortar mixtures

look at all the architecture

no one loves it more than me
that's why i have to set it free
'cause i feel the buildings weeping
i hear the brickwork screaming
it's in such misery
that's why it's begging me
chow down, chow down the buildings

chow down, chow down the buildings

look at all the sculptures
think of all the untold tortures
feels like a loud lament
from all the monuments
no one else can hear them cry
when they suffer so do i
'cause i feel the statues weeping

i hear the granite screaming
it's in such misery
that's why it's begging me

i like to lick the paintings
i wanna taste their pain
why the paintings have to hurt
lord, give me the strength to do my work
'cause i feel the paintings weeping

i hear the canvas screaming
it's in such misery
that's why it's begging me
chew through, chew through the paintings
suck up, suck up the statues
chow down, chow down the buildings

Carla Herling
Communication and Programs Coordinator
Terrace Hill
National Historic Landmark   Iowa Governor's Residence