From:
Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:25:50 -0500
I recall reading at some point, in a book about the history of toys, that
the 1950s was an era of "toy conformity" in that the selection of "hot" toys
offered (i.e. miniature kitchen furniture, erector sets, etc., not to
mention the TV knockoffs like Howdy Doody dolls) and the way they were
distributed, advertised, purchased and used were meant to standardize the
experiences of young children across the nation and channel them towards
specific social norms, ultimately with the goal of creating a
consistently-skilled workforce for the future.  Now, this may have been
overstating the issue (it is PLAY, after all) but it's a theory that could
be applied to a number of the toys that have been discussed during this
thread and possibly addressed in the exhibition.

(I always liked the big books of paper dolls with the punch-out clothing
that you attached with tabs.  My sister liked the horses/cowboys/Indians
sets that came in a bucket.  We both liked Lincoln Logs, with that funny
green roof that you set on separately.  As a time reference, I was born in
1962 and my sister was born in 1964.  Too late for the '50s, in any case.)

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233