From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:22:38 -0700
Ok, more memories.

As little ones, we got a big top.  You had to pump it
up and down and then it would spin and spin and spin.
It was made of metal and a little heavy.  Made for a
good weapon if your siblings wouldn't leave you be
(who, me?).

There were push and pull toys that seemed to be made
of wood or pressboard.  One was like a popcorn machine
with colored balls that popped up.  There were a lot
of on string tag along toys.

Those obnoxious little yapping walking animals you
sometimes see in stores were also quite the vogue.

Kaleidoscopes were a treasure.  Writing on those pads
that you marked with a stylus and then lifted up to
clear it were fun.  The picture of a man that came
with a magnetic stylus and lead shavings to put hair
on his head were fun.  Croquet and trampolines were
desired.  Ping pong was a family game, as was
badmitton, and those paddle balls with little rubber
balls you could smack around were great until the ball
came off, and your folks used it for a bottom paddle.

In the big stocking bags, there were other treasures.
Interlocking metal puzzles you had to figure out how
to put together or take apart.  The one-number missing
puzzle you had to move things around to get in order.
Old Maid and Go Fish cards. Pick Up Sticks!

Dolls that were as tall as you were at the time, with
elastic straps on their feet you could slip on your
feet so the doll could dance with you.

Every self-respecting young lady wanted ballet
slippers and a tutu and, of course, a pink ballet bag
for one's dance shoes.  Gloves were very chic as were
fur muffs to put ones hands in on a cold day, and
little girls wore bonnets at Easter and Christmas.

In colder climes, you might get a toboggan (sp?).

Most families only had one car, so if Mother got
something for the home, she was often happy.  My
grandmother always gave my mother towels.  Every year
there were fluffy pretty towels.  TV trays and card
tables were quite the vogue as well.

I feel like I'm going through my second childhood with
this thread, LOL.  It certainly helps.  Some 2-year
old I just played with at the ice cream store just
called me Grandma.  I wanna play with my toys again!

--- "Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> For the very young, I remember Playskool toys,
> especially a multi prime
> colored top and a hammer set with prime color
> cylinders, triangles, and
> square sided shapes to hammer through a wooden
> reversible bench. They
> also had their wooden puzzles age graded with bible
> and cartoon scenes.
>
> Did hula hoops come out in the 50s? I was in college
> when my niece could
> do it and I could not so I thought that was 60s.
> Daddy got his first
> transistor through the NM catalogue Christmas 1960
> thou a few high priced
> models may have been sooner.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414