From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:03:20 -0500
For the very young, I remember Playskool toys, especially a multi prime
colored top and a hammer set with prime color cylinders, triangles, and
square sided shapes to hammer through a wooden reversible bench. They
also had their wooden puzzles age graded with bible and cartoon scenes.

Did hula hoops come out in the 50s? I was in college when my niece could
do it and I could not so I thought that was 60s. Daddy got his first
transistor through the NM catalogue Christmas 1960 thou a few high priced
models may have been sooner.

Early 50s there were coloring books of Roy Rodgers, Gene Autry, and
General Douglas MacArthur after he argued over Korean War policy with
Truman and was fired. No action figures but coloring books with Marines
and Sodiers at war.

I agree slinky was in the 50s. Plus lead soldiers who were still made of
lead, hand painted and gorgious. I got a set with the entire coronation
of Queen Elizabeth, carriage, Buckingham palace guards, Beefeaters, Horse
Guards, 200 pieces. What fun!

Other board games included Clue and Scrabble. My sister, brother in law
and parents spent hours at Scrabble, Canasta, and Samba.

Mary Kirby

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:30:09 EDT Annmarie Zan <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Don't forget the boardgames. Candyland for the very young started in
> the
> 1950's. Monopoly started in the 30s but was popular in the 50s. I
> remember Chutes
> and Ladders from my childhood in the early 60s but I couldn't find a
> date of
> origin for it. I am guessing it came out in the 50s. Does anyone
> know for sure?
> Annmarie

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!