From:
Valerie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 22:53:51 -0500
Dear Annette,
Do you mean 1960 or 1860?  Plaid silks were very popular in the middle of
the 19th century. I concur with everyone on this discussion, that wedding
dresses were frequently used before and after as dresses for other purposes
(and therefore were frequently not white). We have a beautiful teal blue
silk wedding dress c.1850 in our collection that was made in Chicago, but
eventually was saved and ended up in our collection, much to our delight. We
also have many cabinet card photographs of wedding couples with the bride
wearing a black (or dark colored dress) with a white veil)  Valerie
Oconomowoc and Lake Country Museum