From:
Steph Gaub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 10:08:40 -0700
I completed an exhibit on wedding gowns in February,
and it is true,  not just thought to be true, that
most gowns were not white.  The "vogue" of a white
wedding began when Queen Victoria married.  However,
most women could not afford to have a white dress for
practicality reasons.  Our collection ranges from 1798
to 2002, and the dresses in our collection do not
become white until the 1880s.  The 1798 dress is from
a very wealthy family and it is a cream colored satin
with flowered embroidery.  We have two gold dresses
from the 1810s and 1820s, a green plaid dress from the
1850s, a brown dress from the 1860s, and a burgundy
and cream dress from the 1860s.  We also have a blue
suit from the 1910s and a green suit from the 1920s,
both of which were worn as wedding dresses.  We even
have blue velvet dress from the 1930s.

=====
Steph Taylor
Site Administrator/Curator