From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:08:51 -0500
Dear John & All:

I appreciate the candor of John's message.  Almost everything John wrote
is bang on, based on my experience as a frustrated applicant.  ~frown~
The only suggestion that is heart-felt, I'm sure, but not helpful in
reality is:

> If you lack appropriate experience, be creative and get some;
> you'll probably have to volunteer.

As someone with 10+ years as a volunteer in various areas of museum
(curatorial, collections, education, etc.) and now a 'professional'
(read: paid) a volunteer coordinator )amongst many a hat I wear at
work), I can toss in my two cents.

Volunteering will give you a clue if this is really the line of work for
you.  BUT, it is most likely that volunteering only counts if other
applicants for the same position have NO relevant paid museum employment
on their resumes/CVs.  Relevant paid museum employment always wins.
Volunteering can move you to a better museum or to better duties . . .
still as a volunteer.  (Rarely does volunteering translate into a job.)
And, of course, some people enjoy being 'professional volunteers' --
supporting themselves financially by other means.

Today, as people with MAs and PhDs are hired to perform jobs advertised
for a minimum requirement of a BA, with a glut of qualified people, and
not enough jobs around, those with enthusiasm, a degree (or two), and
some volunteer experience stand little chance . . .

Frustrated?  You bet.

Giving up?  NO WAY!

That's my two cents . . .

Sincerely,