From:
"Mark C. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:33:32 -0400
As a final note to our discussions:

First to Ms. Lynch...I apologize for the strident tone of my original post
replying to yours.  I let a bad day creep into my posting.  I am sorry for
that.

I, however, approach these things in a very different matter than many of
the other posters would indicate that they do or think should be.

If someone comes into my office for an interview with a piece of spinach
between his teeth, I do not immediately assume that he is a slovenly worker,
incapable of producing a good product.  I assume he got some spinach caught
between his teeth.  I also tell him that it is there, so that he can remove
it.

Ms. Lynch also pointed out that she lurks because of responses like mine.  I
hope that is only because of my stridency (which I again apologize for) and
not because I disagree with her.  I find it most interesting that I have
received exactly the same number of e-mails supportive of my position as
there were postings to the group against it.  They were all, however, sent
directly to me personally, not through the group.  I avow right now not to
let that tone creep back into my posts.  I hope that the mean-spiritedness
and pettiness that I often see in postings here can be changed to honest,
dignified discussions of these issues.

And I chastise myself first and foremost for having crossed that line,
especially as the way we treat and judge others is exactly what I am
preaching about.

Mark C. Cohen
Design, Technical and Management Services