From:
Kate Cravens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:59:31 -0400
Here's a question for those of you who are doing scouting programs. A
colleague and I have temporarily taken responsibility for ed programming
while we hire a new ed curator so we're faced with some new issues. For our
group tours we usually comp 2 chaperones or tour leaders per group. For
younger groups we may comp one adult for every 10 kids. The inconsistency
we've discovered is that in the past we haven't charged any additional
admission for the adults who accompany girls to our badge programs. (We
charge $8 per child for our badge programs and we're happy with the numbers
of kids we're signing up.) But, what we're finding is that for every 30
kids who sign up, we've got 15-20 parents who tag along. We're a small
institution and it can be difficult to accomodate so many bodies in a
structured activity. The success of our program doesn't require parents to
remain so parents could just visit our exhibits while they wait. We could
also use the income from their admission fees. What are the rest of you
doing? Do you have a separate fee for parents or a discounted fee? Do you
just comp everyone but encourage them to visit your galleries? Any feedback
would be welcome.

Kate