From:
Brad Holderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:49:02 -0800
Dee,

As you mentioned, the technology can change overnight.
Which presents a problem in regards to an exclusively
digital environment.  (Good) digital photography is
still  influenced by variables a film photographer is
(i.e. light, contrast, etc.).  Thus, you would be
looking for a person who is part photographer, part
computer geek, part database administrator and what I
consider incredibly important, part archaeologist.

The reason being is that I previously worked at a firm
as an illustrator/photographer in which I had the
opportunity to review other applicants previous to
myself.  In providing examples of a flaked biface,
what I saw was accomplished artists failing miserably
due to a lack of understanding of the object and
technology that produced it.  As an extreme example,
criminal photography has commonly meant the difference
between conviction and release simply due to included
or missing information from the photographer.

So, a photographer/geek would also have to thoroughly
understand the context in what he would be
photographing.  Knowing what to emphasize, etc. would
be as nearly as important as the subject and skill of
the person.

Those are my 2 cents, can I send you my resume?

--- Dee DeRoche <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues:
>
> We have received a number of calls from
> archaeological consultants who are eager to begin
> documenting excavations solely with digital
> photography. The idea is alarming to us for a number
> of reasons (the resulting need for a commitment on
> our part of expertise, staff, time and network
> infrastructure for the frequent updates over the
> long-term to maintain digital file readability, as
> well as the instability of digital hard copy
> technologies). We are in the process of creating a
> position statement on the sole use of digital
> photography for primary documentation. We are very
> interested in any input you may have, including
> examples of similar documents.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help. We appreciate it.
>
> Holly Metz and Dee DeRoche
> Curators, West Virginia Archaeological Collection
> Grave Creek Mound Historic Site
> (304) 843-6394

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Cordially,

Brad Holderman
ARTIFACT INK - Documentation for the Archaeological Science
8158 Winter Gardens Blvd. #24
Lakeside, CA 92040
(619) 390-7955