From:
Exhibitions Department <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:47:41 -0500
You should stay long enough to thoroughly master that first job, contribute
something to it in a meaningful way, and in so doing "set the bar" for the
job's next occupant.  Depending on the job, it could be as little as six
months to a year and as long as five years or more.  I spent 3 1/2 years at
my first "real" museum job (i.e., not while I was being a student at the
same time).  I left when I felt I had learned as much from that job as I
could, and had contributed as much as I could given what that job was and
the situation surrounding it.

I think the "two to five years experience" benchmark should be cumulative
rather than per position.  Anyone interviewing you for your next job will be
able to tell whether or not you spent enough time at that job to really
master and contribute, or if you simply left because you were bored.  Really
it will all boil down to what you accomplished while you were there, not how
long you were there.

Julia Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center