From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:18:12 +1300
Deb Fuller wrote< And as an aside to Indigo, how about a compromise on your
messages? Why not make a weekly mentor posting with all your potential
mentorees in one post instead of individual messages? >

I have until now stayed out of this discussion on the list probably because
I need to acknowledge that 'Indigo", Roy and I are kindred spirits !

The IS validity in the complaints from some list members that the FREQUENCY
of postings can prove tiresome.  I know this because when I began publishing
GLOBAL MUSEUM more than three years ago, I too was a little
over-enthusiastic and the volume of my postings attracted the ire of a
certain section of the list membership.

What we are talking about here is MODERATION in the personal rather than
literal sense.  I therefore think that Deb's idea has merit.  It is the
model that I have adopted for Global Museum's News headlines that you all
receive -  a weekly announcement giving you the personal option to delve
further if it of interest to you.

As to Museum jobs there are a couple of constants in this debate:

1)  There will always be enthusiastic (and usually younger !) members of the
profession looking for employment or attempting to get a start in a museum.
As  a result there are certain questions that keep re-emerging on the list.

I, and others, have compiled lists of these ( Global Museum's HOT JOB TIPS
was formed as a result of just such an exercise ).  We should try to be
tolerant and assist these folk - they are the future of our profession and
that is why I commend the efforts of colleagues such as Roy and Gayle.  We
DON'T do this for the money !  Frankly the odd donation one receives
wouldn't even pay for the beer (quaint 'down-under' expression)

2)  Again I believe the answer is in the frequency of such postings, from
any one individual or online publication.  I do from time to time respond to
a job search inquiry posting them in the direction of Global Museum's
Careers section.  I used to do this more often but find that the G.M.
subsection is now very popular and word of mouth / online directory
promotion has brought the site to most folks attention

John Martinson has made the point that he and others personally subscribe to
some of the information sources Gayle has brought to the list's attention.
This may be so but not everyone does.
The problem I suspect, is that these postings to our list are being
forwarded to us unedited, with their accompanying branding and advertising
attached -  the major search engines are very good at attaching such
things!.
Maybe the removal of this secondary material would placate the list but to
do so does require additional editing time\

In conclusion, as we 'go about our business' (Harry's advice), I must record
the pleasure, amusement and elucidation experienced through Museum-L over
several years.  Not forgetting the friendships made online. It's a bit like
a family -  we have our disagreements and grumbles from time to time but the
value of the dialogue far outweighs such concerns

best wishes to all
Roger
[log in to unmask]                          Global Museum - the
international webzine    http://www.globalmuseum.org