Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 04:13:28 +0000
    I have been a member of this list for around six months.  Though I am
only a student one day seeking to be a professional member of the museum
community I find a great deal of the topics posted very helpful in directing
the course of my education.  I believe that a good percentage of the members
to this list are students who find the " how do I get into the field/where
can I find a job" threads very useful in the same way.  Yes, sometimes the
postings from Indigo get excessive, but that's when I use the delete button.
  Yes even for me after six months the How do I get into the field questions
get old, but you know, each time there is a repeat of that thread new
information is posted and some of us learn a little more.
    Some of the other threads I don't like such as the one on ghost (no
offense), but all I do is hit the delete key.
    What I believe really hurts this list is the constant postings of "this
person posts too much, or that is not a relevant thread to the museum
world."  Then they grow out of hand, won't die and tend to keep the list
discussions away from relevant and useful topics like the one from a few
months ago on the policy of keeping your own reference books in the work
place or the "what classes would do I wish I had taken that would be useful
now".  I learned a great deal from that and would like to see the list go
back to museum related topics...if only we could get away from threads like
this.
    Lastly, as students some of us have joined this list to learn from the
professionals who are working in the field that we hope to one day join.  I
should hope that you would be happy to take a couple of minutes out of your
day to help us get to where you are one day. The question I have for those
of you who are tired of hearing from all the students is...think back..."Who
helped to answer your questions when you entered the field?" and " If you
hadn't had someone to guide you, don't you think it would have been harder
to get where you are today?
    I am sure I will be bashed by someone on this list saying that I am
"just another student who has no right posting to this list because he isn't
a museum professional", but we all have to learn somewhere.  I just hope
that we can go back to topics that we all can learn from.

Thank you for everyone's time.

Rick Olsen