From:
stevensg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 12:57:05 -0500
GOOD FOR YOU, Gayle!!!  I applaude you.

I myself, at times have wondered who ARE you???  WHY do you have so much time
on your hands??  What is the REAL reason for Indigo ALWAYS appearing on the
list??

You have answered all these questions and more.  Don't stop contributing.  I
find it very valuable, even if I sometimes just skim and delete, as I'm sure
many folks do.

For those who are offended, maybe a "time-out" from the list is in order.  I
know several museum professionals who have done this, and they all seem to be
fine.

Thank you for sharing your personal history.  It was not AT ALL needed, but
nice to know a real person is out there.

Keep up the good work!

>===== Original Message From Museum discussion list
>I sat here for a bit and debated whether to ignore,
>respond, or apologize.  I think it's sort of a damned
>if I do, damned if I don't kind of thing.
>
>So, I'm apologizing.  It's not my intention to be a
>list hog or boorish.
>
>Yesterday was a fortuitous day for the museum field in
>the US as far as I could tell.  It seemed to me that
>the NY Times (as well as some of the other periodicals
>I also read) took an interest in the museums field, so
>much so that they actually published a plethora of
>articles.
>
>Because there were so many, I chose to post them only
>in abstract if that were an option instead of full
>text.  Not all papers allow for that choice.  The
>options were to pick an article and post it, pick no
>articles and ignore them, or pick more than one and
>post those.  Then the problem is, which one was
>unworthy to the multifaceted representatives of this
>group?  Heretofore, they have often precipitated some
>fairly decent dialogue.  In addition, I was highly
>cognizant of the fact that it was Friday, and postings
>are usually down on that weekday such that they
>shouldn't have proved an abnormal burden.
>
>When I have been thanked in the past for my
>contributions, I have tried to privately thank those
>who have had kind words.  But from those postings, I
>was convinced there was some merit to what was being
>offered.
>
>What I have observed and/or felt is that there was a
>genuine frustration among those wanting to enter the
>museums field in garnering entry into career path.
>That was clearly evident when we turned the events of
>September 11 into constructive dialogue.  I have
>noticed that, since I have been posting jobs I find in
>my daily searches--some of which are ONLY set up to
>help others here and not me (except I will acquiesce
>that it makes me feel good to help others I may never
>know)--there appear to hve been substantively more job
>postings AND as a consequence, far fewer young people
>hitting the list saying "I need a job".  That thread
>seems, for now, to have dissipated.
>
>In posting such information, I take an extensive list
>of data and try to pare it to jobs that have
>applicability to the field.  With respect to the
>internships and volunteerism, the group has told
>neophytes time and again that they should intern or
>volunteer so they might have an easier entry into a
>museum job.  I try to select those I believe may have
>transferability.
>
>As regards the reference materials and events
>contained in the Opportunities postings, it's my
>perception that, beyond being professionals in
>whatever regard, we are still people first with a
>plethora of needs and exposures.  I do try to be
>selective and yet broad minded.  I don't know that
>what I'm posting will help ANYONE.  My hope is that it
>helps SOMEONE.

> [...]
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Greg Stevens
Manager, Discovery Cart Program
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
202-633-8925