From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:54:38 -0800
Over the last few weeks, we've had a number of notes
talking about hits the museums community is taking
(especially as it relates to the Smithsonian) from the
federal government and its funding.  If you follow
American politics at all, you will know that President
Bush veritably reiterated his father's "Read My Lips"
this weekend while he was in California.

I'm not trying to turn this into any kind of a
political debate, but we cannot say that American
politics do not have some impact on the resources
available to American museum professionals in general.

If the Pentagon is looking for more money, it has to
come from someplace within the budget, and, if the
current administration says no new taxes, it has to
come from funds presently available.  That means it
could further affect funding sources.

Rather than provide the article, I am including the
link from the NY Times so that you may check it out
for yourself if you feel this area may concern you.
This is not a battle cry; rather, it is a be aware of
what could be coming toward you so that you may take
preventative measures.  If you do not know the names
of your governor, Congressmen, and/or Senators and
want to lobby them, let me know, and I can provide you
that information since I have a ready reference
spreadsheet that was current as of about six months
ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/07/national/07PENT.html

=====
Indigo Nights