From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:15:13 -0800
First a Couple of Caveats:

As was requested in one of the feedback notes this
weekend, henceforth I will use a consistent title for
these postings so that those of you who can establish
filters will have a target (and others of you may wish
to filter anything that comes from Indigo).  The ones
that come from Idealist.com will always be known as
Opportunities!, followed by the date.  Had I thought
about the filtering, I wouldn't have vacilated
heretofore, but I was going with "truth in
advertising" rather than thinking about a filter.  The
times it was listed simply as Opportunity had to do
with the fact that there was only one, I believe.

HOWEVER, I cannot use a consistent term with all job
postings because some are forwards from the source,
and I have no control over how those are titled.  You
MAY want to look for commonalities yourself and
establish more than one filter.  Examples of other
filters might be Yahoo Careers (or whatever they use
since I'm doing this from memory) or New York Times
(for those of you who find those postings
objectionable).

Another issue is that there has been concern about the
NY Times postings and their ads.  The NY Times, as do
many of the periodicals, has a free forwarding service
for it's articles, but somebody has to pay for that,
and it is paid for by its advertisers.  I have no
control over that aspect of it.  We're getting
something for nothing, and it's the price we pay to
get the information.  On any given day, I read the NY
Times, the NY Post, the Seattle Times, the Chicago
Tribune, Tampa Bay Online, and many, many others, and
just about each of those has ads.

If I copy the text and forward it extracting the ads,
first it takes even more of my time (which I don't
mind), but it violates copyright (which I do).  More
and more periodicals are protecting their works, and
it behooves us all to exercise some caution.  The web
has been fairly freeform for many years, but there is
a whole field that is growing called internet law, and
I feel I personally have to exercise caution in this
regard.

Some of you have concern about the publication of full
text versus abstracts.  When the volume of info I post
has been greater than normal, I do rely on the
abstracts.  However, when it has not, I prefer to go
with full text.  I will explain to you why.

In addition to this list, I am also list mater to a
disability advocay forum with a heavily political
skew. Included among my members and friends with whom
I have interfaced over time are many blind people.

The blind have a difficult time with manipulating
their readers, as I understand it, to switch from one
source to another, and they have a horrific time with
superfluous characters.  Think about trying to surf
the web in the dark and having to listen to the reader
verbalize every character of a web site or extra set
of graphics some sighted person has embedded to make
the document look more aesthetically pleasing for
those with no visual impairments.

For this reason, I do try to forward full text to
accommodate their needs--and yes, we do have many
members on this list of which I am cognizant with
sight impairments--and, when I am forwarding something
to my own listserv that comes from an email I have
received, I forward full text EXCEPT that I extract
all the extra graphics that would personally drive me
mad (or perhaps more mad).

If you are interested in assisting with accommodation
of people with sight impairments here are a few extra
pointers:  1) I try to almost always put my response
on top of what has been heretofore sent to me.  My
blind friends have told me they HATE to hear the same
message over and over and over again just so they can
get to the new text; 2) I try to include the links at
the bottom of articles where I can; 3) I try to use a
simple, average-sized typeface.

This discussion group serves many masters, each with
differing needs.  I am trying to be sensitive to yours
and have therefore embedded these caveats into one
that would only normally apply to jobs.  If someone
has already filtered or is ignoring these
messages--and they are absolutely within their rights
to do so as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't hurt my
feelings--they will have missed it.  Please help me to
pass these pointers along to any who later come along
and say "What's this all about?"

Finally, thank you to all of you who have had such
very kind words of encouragement.  I have been
thrilled to learn that so many of you are finding true
value from what is offered, and it's great hearing
from each of you.

For many years, I nearly drove myself (more) nuts
trying to please everybody.  There are a few lessons
I've learned in life and one of them came from the
fund raising and facilitations I did for many years
for my employer of two jobs ago.

Try as I might, I have learned I am NEVER going to
please everyone because some people simply cannot be
pleased, and others are just as ornery as am I.  All I
can do is try to put forth the best effort possible so
that I can sleep with myself at night.  I will
continue to do so and, if you find that, in the course
of dealing with my offerings, I have personally
offended you, please know that is never my intention.
Most of the time, I am approachable, and if you find
that I have danced on your toes, please send me a
private note so that I might learn from the experience
and attempt to factor in your needs among the many I
now include.

With that, on to today's job postings:

===
New Jobs:
===

Executive Director
  Nkiru Center for Education and Culture, Inc.
  Brooklyn, New York  United States
  Salary: Negotiable (Candidate should submit a salary
history with resume).
http://www.idealist.org/jobs/83292/83142

Chair, Department of Urban Studies, Leadership and
Development
  Eastern University, Campolo School for Social Change
  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania  United States
  Salary: commensurate with experience
http://www.idealist.org/jobs/83284/83125

Director of Administration
  The Bostonian Society
  Boston, Massachusetts  United States
  Salary: Based on Experience
http://www.idealist.org/jobs/81362/83140

Manager of Programs and Member Services
  Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers
  Washington, District of Columbia  United States
http://www.idealist.org/jobs/83286/83130

Web Administrator
  Earthwatch Institute
  Maynard, Massachusetts  United States
  Salary: mid 20s with no benefits
http://www.idealist.org/jobs/256/83132

===
New Internships:
===

ICT Intern Program
  International Campaign for Tibet
  Washington, District of Columbia  United States
http://www.idealist.org/internships/17366/80506

Editorial Intern
  Grist Magazine
  Seattle, Washington  United States
http://www.idealist.org/internships/83293/80507

Sustainable Communities Leadership Program Fellowship
  The Environmental Careers Organization
  multiple cities, California  United States
http://www.idealist.org/internships/58940/80508

Research Fellows
  Center for Law and Social Policy
  Washington, District of Columbia  United States
http://www.idealist.org/internships/16055/80498

Special Events Programming/Scheduling Assistant
  Washington Parks & People
  Washington, District of Columbia  United States
http://www.idealist.org/internships/83005/80504

Farm Sanctuary Intern
  Farm Sanctuary
  Watkins Glen, New York  United States
http://www.idealist.org/internships/19659/80503

===
New Volunteer Opportunities:
===

Pet Professors and Humane Educators
  SPCA of Pinellas County
  Largo, Florida  United States
http://www.idealist.org/volunteerOpportunities/82368/82042

Office Woker Bees, Data Dogs and Computer Cats
  SPCA of Pinellas County
  Largo, Florida  United States
http://www.idealist.org/volunteerOpportunities/82368/82043

Special Events Assistants
  SPCA of Pinellas County
  Largo, Florida  United States
http://www.idealist.org/volunteerOpportunities/82368/82041

Speaker's Bureau
  SPCA of Pinellas County
  Largo, Florida  United States
http://www.idealist.org/volunteerOpportunities/82368/82040

Marketing and Media Assistants
  SPCA of Pinellas County
  Largo, Florida  United States
http://www.idealist.org/volunteerOpportunities/82368/82039

Farm Sanctuary Volunteer
  Farm Sanctuary
  Watkins Glen, New York  United States
http://www.idealist.org/volunteerOpportunities/19659/82037

Film Festival Interns
  Struggling Artist Film Festival
  Brooklyn, New York  United States
http://www.idealist.org/volunteerOpportunities/83280/82036

===
New Events:
===

Open Days
  Peckerwood Garden Foundation
  Hempstead, Texas  United States
  : March 16, 2002
  : November 03, 2002
http://www.idealist.org/events/83277/80181

If you have any questions about My Idealist, please go
to http://www.idealist.org/myfaq.html

And if you know anyone else who could benefit from
receiving these personal updates, please tell them
about http://www.idealist.org

Thanks!

=====
Indigo Nights