From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:33:54 -0700
At Pacific Science Center we have had a Education Committee
for some time.. . here is some advice I would give based on what
I have seen with this and other advisory committees. . .

1. Have a written statement of the committee's reason for
existing, so you can keep them focused when one or more
individuals starts trying to move the committee into areas
that are not within it's area for being.

2. Have term limits. . . usually up to 2 - 3 year terms before
a member must take at least a year off.   This keeps fresh
blood coming into the group and for both the committee
member and the institution to re-evaluated the perspective
member.

3. Have a range of members. . . both front line teachers
as well as dept. heads, and administrators in local school
districts. . . each can serve to give you different feedback
and can gather different types of support.

4. Make sure committee members realize that the committee
serves an advisory role, not a decision making role.

We often have these committees brainstorm ideas for new
programs, tell us how a proposed new program will fit into
the needs of educators, how to get the message out to
educators, and who else in the education community we
might want to contact about a particular program.

Hope this helps . . .
David Taylor, Director of Science
Pacific Science Center