From:
Katherine Child <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:22:22 -0700
I agree that items that are used for work or to enhance one's office space should be allowed. Museum professionals often have their own personal
collection of reference materials that enhance their ability to do their job. It is not unusual for a curator to have a better reference collection than his/her museum.

Likewise, furniture that is used as office furniture is also acceptable, as are clothing, coffee makers, etc. that are used by the staff during the course of a normal work day, week, whatever.

Museum storage space, on the other hand, should not be used for storage of personal items, with the possible exception of a reference collection (assuming their is not adequate space in the employee's office).

Employee's should be required to submit an inventory of their personal items housed in the museum, even those in their office. This is for the employee's protection as well as the museum's. That way, there is never a question of who owns an item when the employee decides to take his/her things back home.

http://www.shopping.altavista.com