From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:32:33 -0700
Exhibitions Department's electrons arrived as:

>I like Stephen's term "post-analog," as applied to some of the newer art
>that is coming out, but it seems to imply that creating art "by hand," so to
>speak, is passé.

There is the possibility that people will interpret the term
"post-analog" in this way, but it's not how I mean it.  Along with many
others, I think we're entering a distinctly different era as a result of
digital technologies, and the effects are felt not only in the devices
that assist us through our daily lives, but also as a gradual but
persistent shift in the entire human context (this linear but
asynchronous "conversation" between individuals who have mostly never met
but who are professionaly communal, being a good example!).
"Post-analog" is just the best term I've come up with to describe how
this new era differs from the one before.

Actually, I'm working on an exhibit that targets somewhat the point
you've made. It is clear that the uniqueness claimed by "new-media art"
will soon enough inflate to include objects that do not bear the look of
technology -- do not necessarily display cables and circuitry or employ
monitors and projections -- but which would be inconceivable without
digital tools and the new visual vocabularies they expose (I'm calling
the show "GHz: The Post-analog Object in L.A.").  It's only an obvious
next step to include within the post-analog axiom those works of art that
are fabricated entirely "by hand," but who's content engages the
socio-cultural issues brought about by the digital age.