From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:13:23 -0800
We could do a whole discussion on what God looks like.
 Interestingly enough, and just an aside, those
defending Giuliani's take on this have been men.

You gentlemen may not be aware, but a lot of women in
this world do believe God is a woman, and she laughs
herself silly over many of huMANities foibles.

If one were to read her/his Bible, one would know that
nobody save God knows what (s)he looks like, whether
man or woman because we're not supposed to look at the
face of God.  The best we can get in this respect is a
burning bush (hmmm, has some presidential
possibilities).

I don't know that God is a man, and I don't know that
he isn't.  Unless you've been there and back, you
probably don't know either.

Faith is a peculiar issue.  Perhaps the faith of this
artist is such that God really is a woman.  Seems to
me, that faith doesn't have to be justified.

Lots of WASPs peg Jesus for a White man.  That's
contrary to what the Bible says in the matter.

On another discussion forum, we were discussing
prejudice, faith-based initiatives, hate speech, and
the like.  As part of yesterday's discussion, because
they kept screwing up the spelling of his name, I
happened to wander onto Farrakhan's site and read his
article entitled "Add It Up!"

There, he says, "You know Jesus was no white man. Look
at him. The Bible says he had hair like lamb’s  wool,
and feet like brass burnt in an oven."

Yet no one in the community at large seems to take
issue with the fact that most Jesuses are depicted as
White, down to the straight, blonde hair and blue
eyes.  None rally to say, "Close that exhibit," or
"Create a decency panel," because someone has
"miscontrued" the image of Christ.

The artist owes no one an explanation.  Art is art.
It is created for a myriad of reasons and inspired by
all manner of health and unhealth.

It doesn't have to be justified.

--- Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Indigo Night et all:
>         However, the entire "art community" suffers
> a blow every time some
> controversial artist doesn't take the opportunity to
> explain their
> intentions.  At least talking to the media continues
> dialogue in the
> public forum which is better than the dictatorial
> dialogue Guliani has
> proposed (i.e., a panel to review standards).  So, I
> think everyone
> should stop condemning close-minded politicians and
> start condemning
> "close-mouthed" artists.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jay Heuman