From:
"Harding, Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:25:28 -0500
In the case of Japanese arms & armor, most of what is available outside of
Japan is from the era of the Tokugawa Shogunate.  During that period (early
1600s-1868? I think), the laws required that nobles maintain a set number of
retainers with armor, weapons, clothing, etc., according to the nobleman's
rank.  They then had to march a retinue with all the cost of their travel &
lodging to Edo every a year.  The expense kept the nobles from amassing the
wealth necessary to actually field an army & go to war.  It had the reverse
effect of making war & rebellion against the shogun unfeasible.  Very clever
on the part of the shoguns.    Of course, there were still duels among the
samurai, but it was a remarkably peaceful time on the whole.

We have several suits of Japanese armor from that time period in our
collections, & there's not a sword nick on any of them.  Some of the parade
helmets would be totally useless in battle.  They're beautifully made,
however.  The sumptuary laws funded an entire economy of craftsmen.

There are others out there with a lot more knowledge of Japanese military &
social history who could be of assistance in this.  I hope one of them will
respond to you more fully than this.

Deborah G. Harding
Collection Manager
Section of Anthropology