From:
Cate Cooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:42:24 -0500
Jennifer, and the rest of the list to boot,

Here is my advice: read a lot, talk to your advisor and ask a reference
librarian for assistance.  Do not ever expect anyone to come up with a
topic for you. As a grad student you should be able to do that by now.

I probably sound snotty as all get-out, but these messages asking for
jobs and thesis topics are really surprising to me.  Don't people do
their own research anymore?  Do students use libraries?  Couldn't they
at least come up with a topic and ask for assistance with sources,
or how to narrow it a bit?  Maybe Miss Doyle just worded her question
poorly, and sent it without reading it over...  if so, I apologize!

I don't want to stir up another argument along the lines of the
Harmony/CIMI slanging match, but does this bother anyone else?  Am I
grumpy and ungenerous?  As a librarian, I feel an obligation to share
information and to educate, but I have never felt obligated to do
another person's work for her.

Cate Cooney
Digital Projects Librarian
(let's talk about smooshed pennies again, that was fun!)