From:
Robbin Neal Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 09:00:39 -0400
Lately I've been approaching museums as information objects so this may
not pertain to the original question but may be of interest to some.

Two books I've been reading in this regard are:

The Social Life of Information by John Seely Brown (Director of Xerox
Parc) and Paul Duguid (Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2000)
This is a business book but I've found it very good at presenting a social
framework for information, particularly the difference between communities
and networks of practice and institutional process.

The Internet and Everyone by John Chris Jones (London: Ellipsis, 2000).
A hypertext experiment in design theory that deals with the Intenet as a
personal and social phenomenon. (Ellipsis publishes those little square
architectural city guides that have been in the bookstores, at least in
New York, lately).

Later this month I'm going to participate in the 4th International
Workshop on Cities, Design and the Internet: Heritage and Sustainable
Development in Chinon, France. The Loire Valley has been declared a
cultural heritage site by UNESCO and a group of architects, environmental
designers, graphic designers and, um, me, will spend ten days
experimenting with environmental design and Internet technology. This is
an historically rich, almost overwhelmingly rich (Chateaux, Joan of Arc,
Descartes, Rabelais, Plantagenets and Valois, wine, farming etc), region
that is also a complex information ecology. I'm hoping to test some as yet
vague theories about how new technology may be used in preservation,
cultural tourism and education. I've also been promised lots of good wine.

Rob

Robbin Murphy
http://artnetweb.com/iola/