From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2018 07:52:08 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly since 1998 by 8,000+ readers in more than 201 countries.

http://www.globalmuseum.org

**  Is Art Museum Attendance Declining Across the US?

The National Endowment for the Arts reports attendance at art museums
dropped 16.8 percent - even as the population grew by more than 33 million
people, and museums began offering free admission.

**  Selling off paintings to keep admission prices low ignores museums'
mission

If the public and the ethical professionals who care for our cultural
heritage were not so vocal in their opposition, then more museums - the
ones, let's dare to say it, with spineless directors and lazy boards - might
well seek the quick, if unsustainable, fix.

**  French experts voice opposition to Bayeux Tapestry crossing the Channel

French experts have voiced their opposition to the Bayeux Tapestry ever
crossing the English Channel, insisting the national treasure should not be
lent to the UK until major conservation problems are overcome.

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 4,271?

Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social
Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum.

Become one of our first 5,000 members.  Join Today at
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  Down with blockbusters! James Bradburne on the art of running a museum

We lost our way in the '80s when directors were forced to use blockbusters
to drive a museum's economy by increasing visitor numbers; now they have
become a drug because without them a museum won't be able to survive, but
that betrays the very nature of our stewardship of the collections.

**  Ancient DNA results end 4,000-year-old Egyptian mummy mystery

Using 'next generation' DNA sequencing scientists have found that the famous
'Two Brothers' mummies of the Manchester Museum have different fathers so
are, in fact, half-brothers.

**  Museums cost too much? Chicago Museum Week offers bargains but no
blockbusters

It's a worthwhile idea, and the move from October to January makes sense,
but I would encourage these institutions, which sparkle with creativity on
other occasions, to think bigger and bolder; if you're going to call
something Museum Week, make it worthy of being capitalized.

**  Stedelijk Museum cancels major retrospective

Amsterdam's Stedelijk Museum has cancelled a major retrospective of work by
Memphis group founder Ettore Sottsass, blaming the architects'
representatives for attempting to "dictate" its curation.

_____________

Become a Facebook Follower -  Join 2,319 of us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

_____________

**  A Syrian Historian Refuses To Abandon His Country's Heritage

Coordinating preservation efforts from an unassuming, quiet cul-de-sac in
southeast Ohio, Al-Azm is an integral member of a network of academics,
archaeologists, and Syrian activists who have banded together to preserve a
past at risk of being obliterated at the hands of thieves and militants with
little regard for the country's cultural history.

**  Dossier Shows British Museum Had a Role in Dealings Between BP and
Russia

It sheds some light on opaque dealings between politicians and energy
company executives, and cultural sponsorship's role in facilitating and
legitimizing those activities.

**  Top British art galleries investigate sexual misconduct

At least 10 investigations into sexual misconduct have taken place at
Britain's largest galleries and museums over the past four years.

**  How Technology Will Screw Up Our Senses

DeSalle is a mild-mannered scientist with a dim office in the bowels of the
AMNH, near some fluorescent-lit labs and a hallway looking into a courtyard;
he's thought long and hard about the future of our senses and told me that
our very sense of who we are will change in the future.

__

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!

1.9K Pins, 450 Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

__

**  The World of WearableArt Museum

Previously called the World of WearableArt and Classic Cars Museum, there
are design-focused exhibits here to interest everyone whether it's
imagination and artistry that rock your boat or practical and functional
beauty.

**  Conserving Rongowhakaata's fragile 'Iron Man'

Rongoteuruora's recovery truly has been a team effort and I'm immensely
privileged to have had to opportunity to conserve this taonga so it can be
appreciated in the exhibition, and also to extend his life and cultural
importance for future generations.

**  Archaeologists piece together 1,500-year-old Roman mosaic

It was discovered, along with other extensive Roman remains, by members of
the University of Leicester Archaeological Services - the same team that
discovered the remains of Richard III underneath a car park in the city.

**  American Indian Museum Tackles Contested Imagery

The recurring use of Native American references for weapons, including not
just tomahawk missiles, but Comanche and Sioux helicopters and Zuni
missiles, is part of a national tendency to idealize the "warlike" virtues
of native peoples.

__

Add Us To Your Google+ Circles - 192,877 in Circles.   14,428 in Community
so far - https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

__

**  How the Victoria and Albert Museum in China signals a new design for
Shenzhen

In 2014, the V&A signed an initial five-year agreement as a founding partner
of Design Society, the entity that now operates the new arts centre; as well
as having its own designated gallery, the V&A has undertaken to provide
advice and training, and will bring out two touring exhibitions.

**  Workhouse Prison Museum

The most notable chapter in its history is one of horrible treatment of the
suffragettes who were imprisoned here during the First World War,
culminating in a "Night of Terror" that ended up being a turning point in
the women's movement.

**  A Blind Professor Is Helping Other Sight-Impaired Museum Visitors
Experience Art

Over the past decade Georgina Kleege has offered consultations to art
museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Tate Modern, on
how to make their art accessible for blind people.

**  The Strangest Museum in Every US State

While it's true that most museums are dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge
in one area or another, there are some U.S. museums that take on truly
strange topics.

**  Unique Viking Runes Discovered

Archaeologists know that runes changed drastically at the start of the
Viking Age; but they lack evidence to know how standardised written and
spoken language was during this time, and what the Vikings actually used
runes for.

_______________

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum

184K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,831 Followers worldwide and
growing fast
________________

**  Working locally, Thinking Globally

2018 Working Internationally Conference, 7 March, Edinburgh

**  Emerging Innovations for Biodiversity Data

Second Annual Digital Data in Biodiversity Research Conference

**  smARTplaces | INNOVATION in Culture Conference

March 01-02, 2018

**  This Week's Horoscopes

Capricorn - You try to be a decent person with a good perspective on life
and a firm view of right and wrong, but you'll soon find yourself ordering
something called a half-caff skinny maple soy latte

All the latest Museum News, Views & Vacancies plus Bookshop, Museum Store,
Resume Postings, Museum Studies Listing & More.

Global Museum -  since 1998 www.globalmuseum.org
<http://www.globalmuseum.org>