From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2018 10:15:44 -0400
What it comes down to is that historic costume is incredibly complicated
and if at all possible please have someone highly trained in costume
history/care do your identification and cataloguing. I have had to correct
more wrong IDs than I can count in collections over the years and then see
them displayed with the wrong information as a result. (Please stop
assuming all white dresses are wedding dresses!)

If you have not studied costume at length you will have wrong information
in your database (wrong dates, wrong materials, wrong ID). Many "dresses"
will actually be in multiple pieces in the 18th and 19th century, making it
more of an ensemble than a dress (they frequently would have day and
evening bodices with the same skirt, they look like a single piece when
dressed). In the 20th century one piece dresses are common, but not before.

As others have pointed out there are many kinds of gowns that are not
anything like dresses.