From:
Michael Rebman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2018 09:06:30 -0600
Greetings,

In summary, the City of Charleston in South Carolina formerly required tour
guides to take a test and become licensed.  The logic for Charleston was
that they wanted all private for-profit tour guides to demonstrate a solid
knowledge of Charleston history, based on facts assembled in a book
prepared by the Historic Charleston Foundation.  A libertarian group,
representing three people who failed the test, sued the city.  The logic of
the libertarian group was that tour guides tell stories, and requiring the
tour guides to demonstrate knowledge prepared by historians limited their
ability to tell stories, whether or not they were conveying correct
information about Charleston and its history.  A judge ruled that the test
violated the free speech of the tour guides, and threw out the law
requiring the test and license.

Thank you,

Michael R
.