From:
John Veverka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2018 15:58:39 -0500

The HeritageInterpretation Training Center

InterpretiveWriting Course

http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_writing_course.html

8 Units and 2 CEU Credits
Introduction to Heritage Interpretation Course. 14 Units - 2 CEU credits. $150.00
http://www.heritageinterp.com/introduction_to_heritage_interpretation_course.html

A guided tour of the COW museum... A lesson in interpretive theme development.

Isthere really a cow museum?  Yes - it'slodged in my head... as a teaching aide for my interpretive trainingcourses.  One of the areas ininterpretation where new interpreters seem to have the most problems is thearea in developing interpretive themes. What is an interpretive theme?  Ininterpretive programs, tours or media development it is the one thing, ifnothing else, you want the visitor to remember from the program or tour.  On a guided walk or tour, for example, thefirst thing you do is introduce the theme (main message) the tour will focus onillustrating.  Then EACH stop on the tourworks to "illustrate the theme statement", with a variety ofdifferent examples, that may relate to different visitors (in tangible andintangible terms). Then at the end of the program or tour you bring the storyaround again to repeat the theme (main message) the tour worked toillustrate.  So I needed an example toillustrate to my course participants, ergo - the tour in the cow museum. This usually takes about 20 minutes as a power point program, but hereis the shorter version just for you.
Here is the tour introduction
Hifolks, and welcome to the famous Cow Museum. You probably didn't know it but Cowsare amazing creatures that affect our lives in many surprising ways (my theme).  My name is John, and I am the lead "cowpoke" for your tour.  My goal is toreveal to you just how amazing cows really are and I'll help you discover thetrue magic of cows and their connections to you personally.   If you have any questions during the tourfeel free to "moo", or ask, and I will do my best to answer yourquestion for you. And please, no grazing along the way.
Thefirst stop on our tour is just how, in the early 1700's, cows helped change thelandscape of our young nation and the east coast farmland of the United Statesforever. Our story begins just around the corner.

If you'd like to take the tour of the cow museum and learn more about this activity/teaching aide to teaching what a interpretive theme is and how to use it throughout a tour or program, send me an e-mail and I will be happy to send the handout to you.  This is just one of the activities and topic areas we cover in our "Interpretive Writing" and "Introduction to Heritage Interpretation" courses.
Cows are amazing creatures... take the tour.

John A. Veverka
Director, Heritage Interpretation Training Center
Interpretive Training Consultant and Coach
http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_training_center_course_catalogue_.html