From:
LUCY SPERLIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2020 14:20:52 -0700
Hi Amy,
I've used PP since its inception, limped along on PP4.0 due to the Scatter Gather feature, but am now converting to the On-Line version.  Throughout I have found their pre-populated Subject file less than useful.

Instead I used a system co-developed with a librarian in Oregon, to coordinate subject headings for standing files in the libraries and museums in his county.  I put it in PPs Search Term block, so it's easily searchable.  Each term uses 1) a major subject heading (pretty universal for all geographic locations) 2) a secondary term that is useful in your area and 3) (if appropriate) a specific third term that is the name of a business perhaps or whatever is useful.
Examples:  'Agriculture - Crops, Nut - Almonds.'  or 'Business & Industry - Agricultural Products - Ehmann Olive Oil.'  It can be searched by term 1, terms 1&2, or all three depending on how wide a net you want to cast. Especially useful for something in which a word search for some reason might not catch the item.

It's easy to search directly, and a fabulous way to get to what you want to find, either for research or for seeing what is available for an exhibit. ...willing to share...

Lucy Sperlin
Butte Co. Historical Society
Oroville, CA
email: [log in to unmask] mailto:[log in to unmask]
or: [log in to unmask]