From:
topladave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2019 08:54:58 -0800
Hi Erica,

As an objects conservator I see several potential issues here.

First and foremost is the lead in pipes that are a hazard in both handling
and storage. Leaving organic material in intimate contact with the lead may
well lead to ongoing corrosion as organic materials are natural absorbents
of moisture and can be acidic. And always remember that organics are
essentially food for insects and fungi. If the lead surface is stable and
does not exhibit and lead corrosion products that are powering or flaking,
then the lead is more of a handling concern that a more general hazard to
the people and collections. The use of any plastic, even inert, will create
a microclimate where it contacts the lead, again a corrosion concern over
time. The big question in all this is how accessible do you want these
pipes to be? If you want to store them for the long term where they will
rarely be handled then I think you can devise an airtight microclimate such
as a box or cylinder with inert fill material and include oxygen
scavengers, that might be your best bet. But, since you ask about using a
sling it sounds like these lead pipes might be intended to be accessed
fairly often and as such, the hazzards become a bigger issue. Hazard labels
need to be clearly on the box and shelf / cabinet, along with safety
protection protocols for handling. While you want the organics to be kept
with the lead pipes as part of their story, it may well be safer to remove
them to ensure more stability for the lead.

So my advice is to research the lead hazards thoroughly. If you have a
conservator or if there is one nearby you will be far better off to consult
with them. And these issues should be discussed by all concerned in the
museum to define how you want to use and preserve these lead pipes.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Principal Conservator & Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA. USA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com