ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Knut Wik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:40:04 +0200
Dear Mario Bucolo!

Thank you for your initiative which I support! Just a reminder to you all:
ICOM have through The Reform Task Force and the General Assembly in
Barcelona adopted following recommendation and taken the question of student
membership into ICOM's action plan:

"Student Membership of ICOM (proposed new category)
The Task Force recognises that there is a need to conserve the basic
stability of the professional membership body of ICOM, and of its capacity
to keep delivering services to an ever-expanding membership currently at the
various professional member levels offered at present.
The issue of admitting students to ICOM membership has been raised at
various times in recent years through the Advisory Committee, and each time
has failed to achieve a positive resolution of support for its introduction.

The Task Force considers that discussion of this issue previously has not
examined the issues with sufficient detail, nor faced the negative image
that attaches to ICOM if it is seen to close the door on channels of
encouragement to young and future members of the museum profession. A
professional organisation that does not care actively about recruiting
future members can expect a limited future for itself.

a. Affirmative action on behalf of ICOM's future

The Task Force believes that a more open, flexible approach to membership
recruitment early into ICOM is highly desirable. Indeed, it strongly
advocates that a shift to encourage students to get to know of ICOM
activities (through ensuring that they learn about ICOM in training courses,
as well as through selected opportunities to experience and participate in
ICOM professional gatherings) would be an important affirmative action
strategy:

        a. to encourage future recruitment of young graduates to ICOM;
        b. to introduce "aspirant members" of the museum profession to a
first-hand knowledge of ICOM's programs and activities;
        c. to stimulate budding young professionals to enter the
international museum community and networks of ICOM early in their
professional lives.

    b. Regulative controls
    The Task Force believes that earlier-stated fears of ICOM becoming
flooded by students if it opened its doors to them through membership are
unfounded. There are several measures of regulation well able to be applied
for stability of the organisation:

      a. Admission to a Student Membership category would, by definition,
distinguish members from a full "professional" membership status [see the
definition of "professional" museum personnel in this Report].
      b. This category would consequently not carry any voting rights in
ICOM's more formal and legislative affairs, nor entitlement to hold any ICOM
office. Only students at a post-graduate level of training would be
eligible - and students involved in some form of training specifically to
enter the museum profession.
      c. (Although unit-courses in museology exist in some tertiary
institutions at an undergraduate level, and broad disciplinary fields were
likely sources of future museum professionals - e.g. art history,
archaeology, natural sciences - it is considered by the Task Force that a
more focused commitment to the museum profession is needed as a source-base
for the category of Student Membership within ICOM.)

    c. One common card, differently designated
    Secretariat advice is that the same general card for all is desirable,
to guarantee museum admission world-wide according to a commonly ICOM
recognised card. Meanwhile it is a simple matter at a technical level to
punch the regular ICOM card with a "STUDENT MEMBER" designation.

    d. Scholarships for Student Members?
    The possibility of Student Member scholarships to ICOM General
Conferences was discussed, and rejected. It is considered by RTF that this
category could favour first-world students internationally, at the expense
of young professionals within National Committees in economically
disadvantaged parts of the world, whose barriers against gaining travel and
experience outside their country are formidable, while their claim to
opportunities for professional enrichment on the basis of need are in fact
higher"

"Strategic Plan 2001 - 2007 adopted by the ICOM General Assembly on Friday
6th July 2001 in Barcelona
Action plan, objective 2

9. Introduce the category of non-voting Student Member (R13), at the
discretion of the National Committees and based on recommended criteria, the
details of which are to be investigated by an Ad Hoc Committee; ensure that
professionals are targeted for participation in ICOM early in their
careers."

I think Mario Bucolo's initiative invites AC and EC to take into
consideration if it's necessary to create a new policy on the question, or
if further steps could be based on the existing recommendations and action
plans.

Kind regards

Knut Wik
Member of Reform Task Force, 1999-2001