ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mario Bucolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:56:27 +0200
On 9-08-2005 18:58, "gedson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear ICOM Colleagues:
> The Young Group proposal addresses an issue that we are facing with most
> organizations. The participatory members are aging and the next generation
> is less inclined to join or when they join to become actively involved. "How
> many of the under-40 age group are ICOM members?" is a good question, but no
> answer is provided. In fact, observation suggests that a number of under-40
> colleagues attended the triennial meetings in Seoul and Barcelona.

Yes, it is important to have an idea about.

> Undoubtedly, there is a need to stimulate participation by younger members
> of the museum profession, however, I believe the place to start with that
> initiative is at the national level as Mario proposes. National Committees
> can develop programs to attract younger members, underwrite group directed
> activities, and subsidize travel to ICOM meetings. It is the role of
> National Committees to represent the museums and museum professionals of the
> particular nation/state.

I start with the idea to involve National Com., after the incredible number
of response from many countries (also in august when many colleague are off
the email), convince me that there is a chance and there are numbers to
create an international committee that, on my opinion, must to be strong
related with national com. An idea can be to nominate in the Intnl Com.
colleagues of different nations to interface with their Nat Com.
I don't think to a committee with a pyramid structure...the board and after
an hole. The idea is to keep every time all involved (who want obviously),
so to can improve and promote mentoring etc. This can be with new
technology. Why, for example, to fix only one meeting yearly. It is possible
(as many colleagues ask) to organize meeting when there is need, in
different area of the world. Colleagues of Chicago want to meet to know one
each other? Fantastic with a cheap equipment (a laptop) and an usbcam all
other colleague from the rest of the world can virtual attend that meeting
using a chat board.
There is no sense to create another committee that meet every year and that
don't have any concrete participation and stimulation from all the group
members.

> ICOM instituted student membership to enlist those young persons entering
> the profession. The authorization process for student membership is
> regulated by the National Committee. Although the number of student members
> has increased, it represents less than two percent of the ICOM membership.
>
> The participation challenge is greater that one age group. We know from past
> experience only about 10 to 15 percent of the ICOM membership attend the
> triennial meetings and less the 40 percent of the members are active in
> International Committees. People do not attend meetings for a number of
> reasons, financial, logistical, political, et cetera. However, the greater
> reasons are lack of interest and a sense of insecurity, and this reality
> applies to all groups. The best way to attract members to both National and
> International Committee meetings is to address topics relevant to the group,
> invite presentation and participation by "younger" members, and involve a
> representative group in the planning process.

Exact what I mean as a group participation.

> Mentoring is another important way to impart both practical and professional
> information, and it is a process that is often lost in contemporary society.
> Many national and international organizations have assumed the role of
> mentor in a very clinical manner. The true mentor (a human) can inform the
> younger colleague about the importance of professional organization
> membership and stimulate interest. This process requires no elaborate
> planning or group decision and is a method that is a part of most
> educational programs.

I agree, as I write above

> I agree with the need to invigorate younger members of ICOM, but I believe
> the process must begin with individual members and the National Committees.
> The action to follow will depend on need and guidance from the target
> audience. What do you think?

It was my original idea but the reaction was over my imagination. Many
colleagues are "exited" about this new venture, probably there is a need of
this activities/group and as appear this is the right moment.
But the important think is the direct participation of many colleagues as
possible (young and not young, new and not new) that will share the group
philosophy, that every one still try to write in the manifesto.

I hope this afternoon to setup a dedicated list to can discuss without
create to much post to every mother list. I will post instruction here and
in the others lists.

Mario