For the past several years, the Texas Association of Museums (TAM) has been
working to foster and encourage diversity in the museum field. In 1989 the
TAM Council adopted a resolution committing TAM to the principles of
multiculturalism. A committee was formed to study the issue and develop
appropriate projects and programs. A significant part of the 1992 TAM
Annual Meeting was a symposium entitled "Museums and Multiculturalism". TAM
also developed a multicultural internship program which is now in its 5th
year.

A publication produced in 1995--Multicultural Initiatives in Texas
Museums-- offers strategies for developing a multicultural action plan and
addresses such topics as:
                Institutional Self Study
                Institutional Goals and Practices
                Tools for Surveying Diversity
                Case Studies
                Glossary
                Community Resources
                Hiring Practices
                Bibliography

Copies of the publication available for $5 from:

        Texas Association of Museums
        3939 Bee Caves Rd., Bldg. A, Suite 1-B
        Austin, TX  78746
        (512) 328-6812

The publication is not the end of the project. The TAM Multicultural
Initiatives Committee is now working on an evaluation of the effectiveness
and use of the  publication/action plan in the field  (and by outside
entities such as the Funding Information Center in San Antonio) and
developing a database of additional case studies.

If you would like more information about any of this please contact:

        Elisa Phelps
        Houston Museum of Natural Science
        One Hermann Circle Drive
        Houston, TX  77030