Folded textiles

Hello everyone

We have recently been given two items from a dismantled scrapbook. These are two small flags/banners which have been folded to A4 size and have been stuck to a piece of cardboard with double sided sticky tape.       They are both decorated with gold painted lettering, and braiding/tassels along the edges - the lettering seems to be unaffected but the braiding has been stuck with the tape. They both appear to be made of fairly modern cotton-mix material which has a shiny surface. The question is:

1)      Should I attempt to remove the items from the card and unfold them?
2)      How can I remove the sticky tape residue without damaging them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leeanne Westwood

Senior Museum Assistant

Valence House Museum

London Borough of Barking and Dagenham

Becontree Avenue

Dagenham

RM8 3HT

Tel: 020 8270 6744

Fax: 020 8270 6868

Website: www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk

Together we will build communities and transform lives...

Protect the environment and save trees only print if essential