I was with a friend in a science center with may exhibits geared toward HS
or adult. The instruction labels were soooo detailed that it took longer to read
the instructions than to do the interactive.

I was so annoyed that I spouted out, "These exhibits don't work!"
My friend replied, "Of course they work, you just have to do"
...this first...
...this second...
...this third... etc

Maybe she's the type of person who actually reads the owner's manual
when she buys a new gizmo? ;-)

Since my friend and I had such differing opinions on these labels, I thought
about it a lot. I think the solution is to have drawings of a person doing the
interactive or to make the instruction labels more graphical in some way.

I then tested the need for instructions with a chemistry class I teach.
Students had to use a computer driven temperature sensor. For one
class, I gave detailed instructions. For the other class, I told them to
think of it like a video game... where you simply click around on objects
until you figure out which ones do what. Both groups had all the same
questions!

I'm not sure what this says for instructional labels.

Also...
Verlag Dr. C. Mueller-Straten wrote:
>Most of the poor labels nowadays are caused by the architects (one style in my
>artwork, please), designers (all grey on grey walls, please) und museum staff
>not being able to control these groups.

Good point!

have fun
diane ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: