At my last museum, front line staff wore logo clothing (usually shirts but
also sweaters and jackets) but were given the freedom to choose the style
of clothes, with in a defined range. The institution paid for the logo
clothes. Some people chose polo shirts, others chose button shirts w/
collars. They were given a defined number of pieces and allowed to keep
the clothing upon termination of employment.

Other staff received one piece/year or used department funds to purchase
clothing, depending on need. As I occasionally worked events, I received
at least one other piece/year and bought my staff clothing as required by
their jobs. I wanted my staff working where the public would see them, to
be identify-able.

Diane Gutenkauf

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:36:32 -0500, Kirstin Gamble <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We will be opening our new Whaling Museum in June.  We'd like our front-
line staff (interpretive, visitor services, museum shop, and maintenance
staff) to wear some sort of uniform so that visitors will be able to
easily identify them in our new - and much bigger - space.  We also
believe a professional, standard appearance will be a nice compliment to
our beautiful new building.

>In addition to daily programs, we will have a whole month of opening
events at which all staff (both front-line and administrative) will be
expected to help.  We also think the entire staff should have a consistent
appearance for these events.

>None of our staff have ever worn uniforms before.
>
>Have any of you had experience transitioning a staff who have never worn
uniforms to one required to wear uniforms?
>Have you had administrative staff wear some sort of uniform for special
events/celebrations? Were they the same uniforms used at your museum on a
daily basis?
>What sort of uniforms do staff wear at your museum? We are a resort
community so we are thinking polo shirts and khakis - but have heard some
women don't want to wear golf-style shirts - how do we make everyone happy?