From: "Stephanie E. Santos" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: help with misguided job applicants
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:26:44 -0500
Hello all-
As someone who is currently on the job market, I would appreciate ANY feedback
from potential employers.  I've been looking since November, have applied to
approximately 25 jobs, and have gotten ONE "thanks but no thanks" letter back
in both the museum field and other professions.  I will be graduating in May
with my MA & seriously wonder if I'll get anything (looking in the Boston area,
where I'm from originally) at all.  We all know how tight budgets are in the
museum world but does that mean those of us "up and comers" should switch our
careers since no one can afford to hire any of us?
Part of the problem is the fact you do indeed need to "resume spam" (love the
term) to have a chance, or I'd have a job lined up already.  Also, how many
museums are in need of a medical anthropologist with a specialization in West
Africa?  This is why I tailor each cover letter to each position, since I've
yet to see an advert for such a person (but if anyone knows of one, please let
me know) in Boston or anywhere else for that matter.
I might also add that career services at most universities are of little to no
help (at least the 3 colleges I've attended) when it comes to job searches in
our field.  They know how to create a good resume for an MBA & will often host
recruitment fairs for such folks, but not for museum professionals.  So where
does one turn for advice?  I have 2 years experience in many facets but am
basing my resume structure on what an accountant might type since that's what
career services knows.
My 2 cents-
Stephanie
--