Here at the Kentucky Derby Museum, we use the same accession system for both library and collection items.  My boss and I had a discussion about this issue and decided it was best to do it that way because it is the three part object ID number that helps trace the item, whether library or collections, back to the source/donor.

The Past Perfect system works well for both library and archival collections.  Both the library and archives categories of the database share enough similarities with the objects catagories for standardization purposes, yet offer several unique features (places to record ISBN #'s, call #'s, etc) that help differentiate this material from three-dimensional objects.  We have used Past Perfect for all our permanent collections with great success.

On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there! ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: