Has summer finally gotten to the members of this list?   Many of my colleagues are struggling with formulating best practices for the profession and there is a proliferation of funding opportunities for conservation and preservation of collections.  Pets -- dogs, gerbils, insects, whatever -- are not welcome nor will they help you at all when the panels meet to decide your grant, or when your registrar finds out.  Cheers, Geri

Geri Thomas, President

Thomas & Associates, Inc.

www.artstaffing.com

------------- Original message from Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>: --------------

> [...]
> well-behaved. I'd take a well-trained dog over a bratty kid any day. =
> Some
> people are also calmer with their dogs and might get more out of the =
> museum
> experience. Dogs can be a calming influence and help people focus. I =
> have the
> world's friendliest greyhound. Really! He gets upset if we *don't* =
> stop and
> talk to people on our walks. He'd be fine in a museum or anyplace else =
> that I
> wanted to take him. And getting your dog out and about is far =
> preferable than
> leaving them at home for 12 hours a day.
>
> But I do agree that there are appropriate and inappropriate places for =
> dogs. I
> also believe that all dogs should have obedience training and be under =
> control
> at all time. I just wish people would think that way about their =
> children.
>
> Deb

> =
> http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail> >
>
> =
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at =
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/> eum-l-faq/> . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv =
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to =
> [log in to unmask] . The =
> body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message =
> to [log in to unmask] . =
> The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the =
> quotes).
>
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3
> D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> 3D=3D=3D=3D
> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ .
> You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message

> Museum-L" (without the quotes).
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C476DA.8346CD60
>

> > content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
>

> > style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
> COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
> normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
> BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
> none"=20
> leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20

Some people, too, are allergic to dogs/cats and pets, but not=20
> children.  And children do not

shed hair.  Children are human, and sad to say dogs are =
> not. =20
> Children take baths, and many pet

owners fail to even bath their dogs/pets -- and they =
> smell. =20
> Children learn from museums, dogs/pets

do not.  Dog claws on hard floors make noise=20
> and scratch; while children do not shift at your private parts =
> or have=20
> their nose where it is not suppose to be.   Children earn =
> money for a=20
> museum, pets do not.

Pets belong at home.   Surely, a large percent of pet =
> owners do=20
> not pick up when their

dog does their thing on museum floor or park or forest trail.  =
> I see=20
> so much of that on trails and museum lawns were you want to =
> lay your=20
> blanket for a lunch or watch a concert..and there is "crap" on the =
> ground left=20
> by uncaring dog owners!  Or what am I seeing people step =
> in? =20
> Surely, not children's droppings.  And oh =
> my!  I've=20
> seen so many dogs dribble.  Their dribble is what makes a person =
> allergic=20
> when it hardens.  And it smells!

Then when a dog sees another dog...there is barking, fights, etc.,=20
> and sniffing in spots that are not right

in a museum.  Children do not do that.   Get =
> real.  A=20
> place for dogs to play and stay at museum?.  Some museums do not =
> even have=20
> funds to pay their staff higher salaries or preserve their=20
> collections.

Yes, we have a dog and cat, but I would not bring either=20
> to restaurants, stores, movies or museums.  I think "pet =
> owners" can=20
> be a touch more considerate of others.   Leave the things home =
> chewing=20
> a bone, shedding hair on your rug or chewing your pillows.  Keep =
> them out=20
> of public places.  And when a dog sees another dog...there is =
> a social=20
> club started --- barking, fights, sniffing in spots that are not right =
> in a=20
> museum...and children do not do that.

And GOSH!  Keep the pets out of the office.  I am =
> allergic to=20
> them.  I have to take shots every month

because of my own pets -- but having no pets in the office is my=20
> only opportunity for fresh air.  The

office would spell like a pet kennel!  Keep the darn things at =

> home!  My old boss brought a dog to work, and it was =
> constantly=20
> sniffing me in spots ---  I felt like sending the thing to the moon =
> with=20

swift kick!   No, no -- I really would not do that!=20
> ;o)   And I like dogs, but not at work and not sniffing =
> me with a=20
> cold, wet nose!  Give us a break!

NO PETS IN MUSEUMS!  Because you like pets, does not mean =

> everyone else has to be disturbed by what one feels is "a human" but is =
> a=20
> dog!

Sorry, IMHO, pets are > color=3D#ff0000>not human=20
> and should not be allowed =
> in=20
> museums.  Children are=20
> human

John

> > style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
> BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

> href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">Deb=20
> Fuller

I'm a dog owner but am not one of these people =
> that=20
> think my dog should be able
to go anywhere I do but a lot of the =
> arguments=20
> against dogs can be made against
children as well.

--- > title=3Dmailto:[log in to unmask]
> href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] =
> wrote:

>=20
> To bring a dog into the workplace or gallery area is thus =
> inconsiderate=20
> of
others.

While the point that people might be threatened =
> by dogs=20
> is valid, but what if
everyone at your office is dog friendly and =
> wants to=20
> bring their dogs too? I've
worked at a couple of offices where we =
> brought=20
> our dogs in and it was a much
less stressful place as a result. We =
> had a=20
> reason to get up and take a walk
every now and then instead of =
> being stuck=20
> at our desks. If everyone agrees then
why not bring in =
> dogs?

>=20
> 2.  Dogs are animals.  They carry insects, plant life and =
> everything=20
> else and

I'd make that claim against your average pre-schooler. =
> I know=20
> I piddled on the
floor at least once as a child and seen many a kid =
> vomit.=20
> Kids don't cover
their mouths when they sneeze, wipe their germy =
> hands over=20
> everything, might
not wash them after going to the bathroom. I know =
> parents=20
> who send their kids
to school sick because they don't have enough =
> leave=20
> time at work to take off or
a babysitter to take care of them. As a =
> public=20
> school teacher, I was sick all
the time from being around children. =
> My dog=20
> is much healthier than most kids
and is completely potty=20
> trained.

> 3.  Respect and responsibility for=20
> collections.  Museum people are charged
> with upholding =
> the public=20
> trust when it comes to collections.   That means
> =
> museums not=20
> only have fiduciary responsibility to our public and to our
>=20
> collections, but they are also charged with providing proper care for=20
> the
> collections.

So how is having a dog around the =
> collections=20
> not responsible? My dog isn't
going to try and paw the paintings. =
> You have=20
> to repeatedly tell some children
to keep their grubby little hands =
> off=20
> them.

> And the public expects this.  Just because =
> people bring=20
> pets into their
> private work places or businesses allow =
> clients to=20
> bring their pets with them
doesn't mean museums should allow=20
> this.

Again, why not? Shouldn't it be up to the museums to =
> decide? What=20
> if the
museums have a nice sculpture garden or a nature center =
> where a pet=20
> could hang
out with the other animals?

> Once we start =
> allowing=20
> dogs, what's next? Pot belly pigs, iguanas, snakes?
> All of =
> these are=20
> pets.

Iguanas and snakes are far better choices to allow than =
> dogs or=20
> children. They
don't shed. Don't make noise and are pretty =
> self-containted.=20
> I used to work at
a nature center that had an iguana who loved to =
> ride on=20
> my head. I could work
at my desk, do school programs, or work =
> around the=20
> center and he'd happily sit
on my head and not move. I've sat at my =
> desk=20
> for many hours with a snake around
my waist or curled around my =
> pony tail=20
> as well. The only problem I'd have with
pot bellied pigs is that =
> you can't=20
> really lead them around on a leash and they
can be rather stubborn=20
> creatures so they're harder to control than a dog.

Go visit =
> Germany=20
> sometime. I don't think dogs are allowed in museums but they
are =
> allowed in=20
> resturants, shops, and many other places. They are =
> also
well-behaved. I'd=20
> take a well-trained dog over a bratty kid any day. Some
people are =
> also=20
> calmer with their dogs and might get more out of the =
> museum
experience.=20
> Dogs can be a calming influence and help people focus. I have =
> the
world's=20
> friendliest greyhound. Really! He gets upset if we *don't* stop =
> and
talk to=20
> people on our walks. He'd be fine in a museum or anyplace else that=20
wanted to take him. And getting your dog out and about is far =
> preferable=20
> than
leaving them at home for 12 hours a day.

But I do agree =
> that=20
> there are appropriate and inappropriate places for dogs. I
also =
> believe=20
> that all dogs should have obedience training and be under =
> control
at all=20
> time. I just wish people would think that way about their=20
> =
> children.

Deb

__________________________________> >Do=20
> you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We =
> finish.
> title=3Dhttp://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail=20
> =
> href=3D"http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail">http://promotions.yahoo.com=
> /new_mail

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Important=20

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at > title=3Dhttp://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/=20
> =
> href=3D"http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/">http://www.finalchapte=
> r.com/museum-l-faq/=20
> . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by =
> sending a=20
> one line e-mail message to > title=3Dmailto:[log in to unmask]
> =
> href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">
> .=20
> The body of the message should read "help" (without the =
> quotes).

If you=20
> [...]

> a three-year old slamming into your legs with slimy Cheerios all over its
> fingers? Or, been trying to contemplate the differing types of painterly
> abstraction, but not been able to concentrate because a toddler, barely able to
> walk, has been let loose in the museum and is noisily tottering all over the
> place, letting out a high pitched scream every time it falls down. Want to know
> which museums? Metropolitan Museum of Art and Guggenheim Museum respectively.
> Have any of you checked the price of admission at either museum lately?

My point: give me a quiet dog over a squeeling and/or
> treat-smeared child anyday. Maybe it's not the dogs nor the children that's
> the problem, maybe it's the dog owners and parents who feel the needs and
> desires of their "dependents" trump the needs and museum going experiences of

Loretta Lorance

> [...]

> You said: I don't think pets are human but I do think my dog is better =
> behaved that a lot
> of children I see. And while I wasn't in Germany that long, I saw plenty =
> of
> dogs in resturants (do you mean restaurants?) and shops but narry a yip, =
> sniff, or poop. Most of the time
> you didn't notice that they were around except for a water dish under =
> the
> table. So if Germany can learn to deal with pets, why can't America?
>
> I reply: So museums are going to be required to keep water dishes, and =
> you don't think the
> slurping and lapping is not going to be disrupting the learning =
> experience? =20
>
> And golly gee, to sit in a restaurant and hear a dog lapping and =
> dripping to get a scrap of food,
> I would walk out. =20
>
> And you are speaking only of your dog. I am willing to say that that is =
> a very small percent of
> people who would have dogs trained enough to enter a museum. And are =
> they going to be
> on a leash or running free? =20
>
> > Sorry, IMHO, pets are not human and should not be allowed in museums.
> > Children are human.
>
> You said: Well I'd argue that some children aren't that human either. ;)
>
> I reply: But they are human...and no matter what you might say -- =
> doggies are dogs. And only
> those dogs that help the physically disabled are allowed in museums.=20
> =20
> John
>
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3
> D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> 3D=3D=3D=3D
> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ .
> You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message

> Museum-L" (without the quotes).
> ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C47737.EB114260
>

> > content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
>

> > style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
> COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
> normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
> BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
> none"=20
> leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
> name=3D"Compose message area">

Deb:

First, I was not talking to you  -- but in general =
> terms.  =20
> But, since you replied.....

You said: And people are allergic to perfumes and some dogs don't =
> shed=20
> enough or at all
to cause allergies. Should we start banning perfumed =

I reply:  Again, museums are for people and NOT for=20
> animals/pets.   A dog is there only to follow its

master...not to learn.   Babies, as past discussions have =

> mentioned, need to be with parents.

I would say more people are allergic to dogs than to perfume.  =
> And I=20
> would rather smell some perfume than a dog with his rear hair smelling =
> and=20
> things a hanging.  (if you know what I mean).  ;o)

My ex said her dog never shed hair.   I put a tape on the =
> chair=20
> and it picked up lots of doggie hair.

matching the hair of the dog.

You said: Heh. I can point you to many people who don't bathe =
> nearly as=20
> often as they
should, and they're not homeless people either. My dog =
> rarely=20
> needs a bath
because he's got very short hair and thankfully stays =
> away from=20
> icky things. He
smells a lot better and keeps cleaner than a lot of =
> kids I=20
> know.

I reply:  But museums are for people and not for =
> animals/pets. =20
> And that is your dog...other

dogs do need baths.   And as a former curator....dog hair =
> is bad=20
> on collections, clean up,

jam filters of air cleaners, etc.

Most kids takes baths and your dog doesn't  - no =
> dander.   I=20
> don't think so.  And when the dog is

out rolling in the dirt  - no dirt gets in his/her hair?  =

You said: Again, I'd wager that the screaming 6 month old =
> isn't=20
> getting much out of the
museum experience or that the toodler > color=3D#ff0000>(don't you mean "toddler"???)  who =
> constantly runs=20
> away from Mommy isn't either. Bored teen-agers and boyfriends who get =
> dragged to=20
> art galleries by
their girlfriends probably aren't absorbing anything =
> either.=20
> While my dog
probably won't learn much, he is appreciative of getting =
> a walk=20
> which is one up
on the bored teen-agers and boyfriends.

I reply:  But other people are not appreciative of dogs in =
> public=20
> places.  Museums are not for pets, but for people -- and Deb =
> -- yup,=20
> even for children.  Surely in a fine art museum, where people want =
> to take=20
> in the art or exhibit, having a pet there (when it does not have to =
> be) it=20
> does would get visitors upset.   Next you will say =
> -- allow=20
> cows, sheep and horses and "charge a fee."

Parents, with children are allowed in museums.  They are =
> people. Dogs=20
> and pets are personal things.  You have them, but other people =
> do=20
> not.  Keep them at home, in the kennel or walk them in =
> the=20
> park.  Surely, your are not providing your animal a good =
> walk in=20
> a museum -- looking at exhibits?

You said: Properly =
> trimmed=20
> they don't and they are much less damaging than high heels,
sneakers, =
> and=20
> stroller wheels.

I reply:  But museums are for not for pets, but for=20
> people.

And how many people "properly trim" their animals?   Very =

> few...how many people bath their animals?

Very few.

You said:  I assume you mean sniff.  > color=3D#ff0000>(See=20
> we all make mistakes!  LOL)

My old dachshound (isn't it =
> dachshund????)
=20
> wasn't high enough off the ground to
sniff past your ankles.  =
> And again,=20
> properly trained dogs don't do that. I've
been pawed by plenty of =
> kids who=20
> didn't know how to keep their hands to
themselves.

I reply:  Even properly trained dogs are not allowed in most =
> museums,=20
> except Canine Companion or seeing eye dogs.

Are people with dogs going to be required to show a paper that =
> "their=20
> animal is trained"?

> Children earn money for a museum, pets do not.

You=20
> said:  Charge a pet admission.

I reply:  Oh get real!  Sheesh!  Then any pet could =
> be=20
> coming into the museum, trained or not trained.

Where do you draw the line.   Then discrimination cases =
> would be=20
> filed and you would have many upset customers.  Or they will say =
> "XYZ"=20
> Museum allows my pet Snaggle-puss.  Why don't you?"   =

You said:  Well that is a problem with inconsiderate dog =
> owners.=20
> On the flip side, how
many kids pick up after themselves these=20
> [...]

> such well=20
> mannered?  I think not.

I walk our dog and there are dogs that are passive, while =
> others=20
> are very aggressive.

Are museum going to be legally binding for any dog bites, =
> people who=20
> trip on your animals leash or

tip over exhibits or artifacts.  Are dog owners going to pay =
> for=20
> damages?

And what about dogs at outdoor parks, with chickens, cows, =
> sheep. =20
> They chase the animals,

and people do not stop them.  Dogs at our park were constantly =
> killing=20
> our rare breed of sheep,

chickens and ducks.  Yup, those well trained dogs.

You said:  You need to get to your local playground more =
more destructive than dogs.

I reply:  But museums are for people, and playgrounds are for=20
> children.   Children are excited,

and do get loud..that is what they do at playgrounds.  But for =
> my=20
> child to play and fall in a

doggie do-do.....that is very upsetting.

>The office would spell like a pet kennel!

You said: Uh, again, the offices where I worked at that allowed =
> pets smelt=20
> no different
than offices with pets.

I reply: And most people with pets, are so use to the smell they=20
> cannot smell animal smell in their

own homes.   However, a new person coming into =
> house --=20
> it does smell, especially someone with allergies.  Their eyes =
> water, nose=20
> runs, etc.

> NO PETS IN MUSEUMS!  Because you like pets, does not =
> mean=20
> everyone else has
> to be disturbed by what one feels is "a human" =
> but is=20
> a dog!

You said:  I don't think pets are human but I do think my =
> dog is=20
> better behaved that a lot
of children I see. And while I wasn't in =
> Germany=20
> that long, I saw plenty of
dogs in resturants > color=3D#ff0000>(do you=20
> mean restaurants?)
 and shops but narry a yip, sniff, or =
> poop. Most=20
> of the time
you didn't notice that they were around except for a =
> water dish=20
> under the
table. So if Germany can learn to deal with pets, why can't =

> America?

I reply:  So museums are going to be required to keep water =
> dishes,=20
> and you don't think the

slurping and lapping is not going to be disrupting the =
> learning=20
> experience?

And golly gee, to sit in a restaurant and hear a dog lapping and =
> dripping=20
> to get a scrap of food,

I would walk out.

And you are speaking only of your dog.  I am willing to say =
> that that=20
> is a very small percent of

people who would have dogs trained enough to enter a museum.  =
> And are=20
> they going to be

on a leash or running free?

> Sorry, IMHO, pets are not human and should not be allowed =
> in=20
> museums.
> Children are human.

You said: Well I'd argue =
> that some=20
> children aren't that human either. ;)

I reply:  But they are human...and no matter what you might =
> say --=20
> doggies are dogs.  And only

those dogs that help the physically disabled are allowed in=20
> museums.

John