I used to work in a historic house that had 19th century inlaid wood floors, and replica period carpets.  Instead of opting for the little booties for the visitors to wear to protect the floors, the museum purchased an electric shoe cleaner.  It is the same machine used by curlers before entering the ice at a curling arena.  Basically, a rotating brush is activated by pulling on a handle bar, and then you just brush the bottom and sides of your shoe.  It is simple to use, and as someone who worked many a wet west coast day at the museum, I can tell you that it works very well removing mud, leaves and other dirt from boots, shoes and even sandals.  All you really need is a small amount of space at the entrance and an electrical outlet.  I think ours was bought at a curling supply store in Edmonton, Alb.

Maybe this could work for your floors?  Good luck.

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: